Chef Nay’s Texas-Style Basil Pesto
Yield: 2 servings | Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ¼ cup pecans
- ½ tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ¼ lime, freshly juiced
- ½ lime, zested
- 4 T avocado oil, or more
- Salt & pepper to taste
Instructions: It is best to use a mortar and pestle, but below are food processor instructions as well.
Using a food processor:
1. Place all ingredients (except oil) in the processor bowl.
2. Pulse until a thick paste forms.
3. Drizzle in oil and pulse until creamy (or until desired texture)
4. Adjust seasonings and serve over pasta or use as a bread dip.
Using a mortar and pestle:
1. Start by crushing the pecans until a slight paste forms.
2. Add in basil, salt, and cilantro leaves and push & grind until a thick paste forms.
3. Grind in nutritional yeast and lime zest until combined.
4. Squeeze in fresh lime juice.
5. Drizzle in oil 1 T at a time until desired consistency.
6. Serve with pasta or use as a bread dip.